There’s nothing like getting out into the field and picking your own berries, so we’ve found nearby San Diego U-Pick Farms. It’s fun for everyone, even the kids, and they just seem to taste better when you pick your own strawberries and blueberries.
When you visit one of these u-pick farms, be sure to wear closed-toed shoes, a broad-rimmed hat, and bring plenty of sunscreen and hand-wipes.
You’ll also want to have some water with you because it may not always be available.
With all of these farms it’s best to call ahead, since we all know how fickle Mother Nature can be.
San Diego Area U-Pick Berry Farms
Carlsbad Strawberry Company
Located near the Carlsbad Flower Fields, this u-pick farm has one thing and one thing only – strawberries!
Once you’re done picking you can wash them and eat them on the spot, or take them to the beach for some sweet fun in the sun.
- Season: April through July
- Hours: Daily 9am to 6pm
- Cost: $20/bucket for 2 people or $10/bucket for 1 person; Free for kids under 6
- 100 Cannon Rd, Carlsbad, CA (760)519-4154
Kenny’s Strawberry Farm
Despite the name, Kenny’s offers more than just strawberries. They have various crops throughout the year, including watermelons and pumpkins.
They’ve got two picking seasons for strawberries, too, with a second harvest in October.
- Season: March through July, October
- Hours: Wed – Sun 10am to 6pm
- Cost: $4/pound
- Where: 953 Rainbow Valley Blvd., Fallbrook, CA (951)212-5805
This pick-your-own farm includes a one-hour wagon tour where you’ll learn about what’s in season.
You’ll be able to fill a one pound basket. If you don’t want to take a tour you might be able to pick berries in the garden behind the market stand. Those are based on availability.
- Season: March through June
- Hours: Saturday and Sunday walk on tours every half hour between 9:30am to 2:30pm; reservations required during the week
- Cost: $18/tour; $5/lb for u-pick behind Market Stand
- Where: 5380 1/2 University Dr., Irvine, CA (929)653-2100
Temecula Berry Company
When you want blueberries, nothing but hand-picked fruit from Temecula Berry Company will do!
In addition to berry-picking fun, they’ve got Friday Movie Nights. Come on a Friday from May 19 through June and you can pick berries until the movie begins at 8pm.
- Season: May through June
- Hours: Daily 8am to 6pm; Open until 8pm on Friday movie nights
- Cost: $6/pint
- Where: 39700 Cantrell Rd., Temecula, CA (951)225-5552
Have you been to these farms? What did you think? Leave a comment and let us know! If we missed your favorite, be sure to share that, too.