Two Lane Gems, Vol. 1, is a road trip romp from the Chicago area to San Diego and back. Theresa Goodrich grabs her laptop, her camera, and her journal and makes (asks, she means, asks) her husband, Jim, to drive 6,479.5 miles through thirteen states so she can fulfill a childhood dream.
Starting at the most important archaeological site in North America, their journey takes them through sand dunes, forests, plains, and mountains. They stayed in haunted hotels, a rustic cabin, charming bed and breakfasts, and the oldest motel in Arizona.
- met a World War II vet
- learned how to grow a date
- made a wish at the Center of the World
- drank a beer in the lowest bar in the Western hemisphere
- toured an abandoned mountain lion zoo
- rode a vintage train with a singing engineer
- ate schnecks
- touched goblins
- did not get blown up by unexploded ordnance
- did not kill each other
Two Lane Gems, Vol. 1 is an uplifting, inspirational, and often humorous love letter to America. From cliff dwellings to buried cars to more hoodoos than you can shake a switchback at, this tale follows their round-about journey to find the country’s treasures.