Saks Fifth Avenue just opened their new men’s store, The Fifth Avenue Man , and with it comes a massive tease for a new restaurant Sophie’s at Saks Fifth Avenue . Delicately placed in the 7th floor corner overlooking of Michigan and Superior, the new restaurant is preparing to open January 31st.
In the meantime, I had a chance to sneak into the modern restaurant with Executive Chef Ron Aleman and the General Manager Michel Gabbud. Here’s everything I know so far...
- The name Sophie's comes from the American fashion designer Sophie Gimbel. She was the “arbiter of style” for Saks for nearly 40 years and wife of Adam Gimbel – whose grandfather founded the department store chain Gimbels.
- Sophie’s will serve American cuisine that’s inspired by world flavors. We haven’t had a chance to test the menu, but Sophie's Corporate Executive Chef, Barcelona-born Alexandro Reyes, played a role in its development.
- Executive Chef Aleman designed the menu to focus on simple ingredients, sourced locally and seasonally. To date the menu includes salt-crusted baby beets with gorgonzola, pecan caramel, orange and yuzu vinaigrette and pasture-raised burger with fries and sriracha ketchup.
- The bar will seat approximately 8-12 people (my guess) and the GM Michel Gabbud is making sure a few local spirits, like Koval, are on the menu. In addition to cocktails and wine, the bar will also feature small bites and sharable plates.
- The main dining room has a killer view of Michigan Ave. and the John Hancock. Designed by award-winning architect Andre Kikoski, the restaurant can be broken into three areas: the bar, the main dining area and an auxiliary area that transforms into a private dining space.
- Because good food and drinks should never be delayed, diners will be whisked up to the 7th floor via a dedicated express elevator.
- Sophie’s Chicago is the first of two Sophie’s restaurants to open in 2014. The second Sophie’s will open in Sarasota this autumn.
Starting January 31st, Sophie’s at Saks Fifth Avenue will be open for late breakfast, lunch and afternoon/early evening cocktails. Weekend brunch will be added in the spring.