Monday, June 9, 2014 - 9:44am
With the increasing costs of transportation and growing concern for the environment more and more people are turning to cycling to get from point A to point B. Chicago's been making it easier with protected bike lanes and the launch of bike-sharing system, Divvy. Now neighborhood organizations are getting into the act with Bike Friendly Business Districts.
The West Town and Lakeview Chambers of Commerce have joined forces with the Active Transportation Alliance to create a business culture that welcomes cyclists. Today they're launching initiatives that include deals to customers who arrive by bike and show a helmet. Just look for "Bike-Friendly Business" decals in the windows.
This initiative comes just before Chicago Bike Week, which begins June 13. Both Lakeview and West Town are hosting several events to encourage taking two wheels instead of four:
- June 14, Schubas Bike Bash, at 3159 N Southport, 12-4PM: Kick off Bike Week with bike tune-ups, demos, raffle prizes and workshops, as well as BBQ and music.
- June 16, On the Route Bicycles Commuter Pit Stop, at Lincoln and Barry, 6:30-9AM, with support from Whole Foods: Stop for free coffee, giveaways and bike mechanic.
- June 17, Heritage Bicycles Commuter Pit Stop at Lincoln and Wellington, 6:30-9AM, with support from Whole Foods: Stop for free coffee, giveaways and bike mechanic.
- June 17, Paramount Room, 4-8PM, After Work Happy Hour and Pit Stop featuring: 20% Off Food and a $4 Craft Beer Pints all night, cyclist networking, presentations from a bike advocacy group, bike maintenance demos, and complimentary passed hors d'ouevres
- June 18, Frontier, 4-9PM, Patio Happy hour Oyster Boil, featuring: $12 Boiled Dozens and $1 Raw Oysters, $5 Half Acre Family Tall Boys, and BMX Demos from Let's Roast Bike Shop starting at 6pm
- June 19, Duran European Sandwiches, 7-10AM, Brake for Breakfast, : $3 for choice of bagel and smear and La Colombe coffee, or a made-to-order bagel sandwich with coffee for $5
- June 20, Ancien Cycles, 6-9PM Live Music, Beer, Free Burgers & Pho-Style Soup
You can see a list of over sixty participating businesses at activetrans.org/businessdistricts. You might want to bookmark the page as you know they'll be adding more businesses and, hopefully, neighborhoods.
Photo courtesy of Active Transportation Alliance