Chicago’s No Pants Subway Ride
2012 is a time to try something new, like riding the ‘L’ without pants.
If you’re first reaction is ‘Wait, what?!?’, then you read the opening line correctly. For the last ten years, the New York ‘trouble makers’ and cultural geniuses known as Improv Everywhere have been organizing events to make the common man (and tourist) laugh and think.
One of the most successful events is the No Pants Subway Ride. On Sunday, January 8th Chicagoans will join 47 other cities around the world in a massive flash mob style stunt to make people smile.
I had an opportunity to participate in the New York event last year and it was absolutely hilarious. To take some of the edge off and make yourself a comfortable participant, the easiest thing is to do is go with a group of friends that are also willing to show off their skivvies.
The event details will be released Tuesday, January 3rd on the Chicago Facebook event page and hopefully we can give Forrest Claypool an interesting press briefing the next day.
Things to remember:
- The point of the No Pants Subway Ride is the make on-lookers laugh and giggle.
- Try not to wear underwear that screams, “Look at me. I’m doing a silly stunt.”
- Bring a backpack to store your pants in when you’re not on the ‘L’.
- Nervous about showing off more than just your underwear? Guys, wear a pair of boxer briefs underneath or ladies, wear a pair of nude tights.
- Participating is like being in a play. So act natural and hold off taking photos of you and your friends until after the ride.
- Have fun!
No Pants Subway Ride website, click here.
Proof of my 2011 participation / Why I’ll never run for public office, reason #439, click here.
More info - including photos - from my 2011 'no pants' experience, click here.