Five Easy Valentine's Day Ideas
With just two weeks until Valentine's Day, here are some fun ideas to make the day a little more memorable:
1. Make dinner at home. Find some recipes online, pick up all the fixings at a local market (try the Chicago French Market or Pastoral), put on some romantic music and cook together. There's no PDA when it's within the walls of your own home, so go ahead - feed each other across the table, too.
2. Go dancing. Even (especially) if you don't like dancing and your date does, you'll definitely score some extra points for this one. Some of my favorite spots? The Kerryman has a fun upstairs dance floor that gets pretty packed on weekend nights after 11 if you're into top 40s and old school hip hop. Try the Hangge Uppe for 80s and top 40s in a dive bar setting. Or check out Green Mill for great jazz coupled with great dancing on swing nights.
3. Take a train. Ride the El or Metra to a neighborhood or town you don't know so well. Try Western Springs or Downers Grove for some cute suburban stops. Or take the Blue Line to Logan Square to see what's edgy, up and coming. Also fun is a train ride to the Red Line Argyle stop for some Vietnamese noodle soup - perfect on a cold winter night. Explore. Get lost. Be a little spontaneous.
4. Kidnap your Valentine. Get a room at a nice hotel and pack an overnight bag. Great overnight spots in the city? The W City Center has a great lobby lounge and rooms that overlook the city. Or stay the night at Hotel Monaco, where they'll spoil you with a pet for the night - a cute little goldfish in a bowl to keep you company. Details are important, like remembering her favorite drink garnish or leaving a note in his toiletries kit.
5. Send a surprise to the office. Everyone loves a little attention at work. Nothing says "I love you" like "I love you in front of your colleagues, too." Foiled Cupcakes, Chicago's only exclusive online order and delivery cupcake gift company is offering a special Love Bundle package - 16 cupcakes, all decked out for Valentine's Day, for $38 (free delivery).
Have other ideas or recommendations? Let us know!